How to cover your tracks surfing the web
It may not be safe for you to access sites for information about family violence from your computer. Your abuser could discover what sites you have visited.
Your Internet Activities Can Be Discovered
To hide your Internet activities you need to clear the computer’s memory of the most recent pages you have accessed on the Internet. This memory is the browser’s cache. By emptying your computer’s cache, your recently visited sites will be deleted. It is a good idea to access some sites on other subjects after you have cleared the cache so that it will have some items in it. For instance, check out the sites of newspapers, government, or entertainment.
If you use Internet Explorer 6:
- Pull down the tools menu, select Internet Options.
- Choose the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click on “Delete Files”.
- Under History, click on “Clear History” then click “OK”.
If you use Internet Explorer 7:
- Pull down the tools menu, select Delete Browsing History.
- Click the Delete Files and Delete History buttons.
If you use Internet Explorer 8:
- Pull down the Safety menu, select Delete Browsing History.
- Select Temporary Internet Files, Cookies and History
- Click Delete.
- TIP: While browsing The RAVE Project in the future, first switch to InPrivate Browsing mode: Pull down the Safety menu, select InPrivate Browsing. View any website normally without capturing data.
If you use Firefox:
Note for Firefox users: “Exit Now” link at the top-right of the page does not work.
- Pull down the Tools menu, select Options.
- Under Privacy, select Settings.
- Enable Browsing History and Cache, click OK.
- Click Clear Now.
If you use Google Chrome:
- Click on the Wrench icon (Right Corner of screen), select Clear Browsing Data…
- Leave defaults, and click Clear Browsing Data.
- TIP: While browsing the RAVE Project in the future, first switch to Icongnito mode: Click on the Wrench icon, select New Incongnito Window. View any website normally without capturing data.
If you use Safari:
- Pull down the Edit menu, select Empy Cache, and click Empty.
- Pull down the History menu, select Clear History.
If you use AOL:
- Pull down My AOL, select Preferences.
- Click on the WWW icon under Temporary Internet Files, click on “Delete Files”.
- Under History, click on “Clear History”.
If you do not know which browser you are using, pull down the Help menu, and click on About. Please note, certain browsers update regularly and may change the steps required to clear your browser history.