Ideas on how to… Raise awareness in your church on abuse
- Have some of the church groups invite a board member or worker at a women’s shelter to explain their work and their needs.
- Plan a training seminar for Sunday School teachers and youth workers. Include both church-related presenters (pastors, denominational resource people) and community presenters (police, child protection worker, shelter worker).
- Choose one month each year and make a local shelter a mission focus. Provide information to the congregation about how many people have been served by the shelter, and ask the shelter for ideas about how the church can help in practical ways. Have some church leaders visit the shelter, and invite shelter workers to the church to provide information for the church and for women’s groups about recognizing and responding to abuse.
- Choose a Sunday for a focus on the importance of safety and security in the Christian home. The pastor can confront abuse in the sermon and provide the congregation with written information and resources about abuse.
- Include information about violence in premarital counselling for all couples who are married at the church.
- Schedule youth group and youth Sunday School opportunities to discuss issues related to dating violence.
Steve McMullin, MATS
RAVE Fredericton Team